KDE thrashing again

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Apr 25 19:03:21 BST 2007

On Mittwoch, 25. April 2007 +0100, John wrote:
> It's happened again. This time kmail, 2 copies of kate, ding and 2 konq
> windows running, 3 tabs in one and 1 in the other. Linux is continually
> swapping in and out small portions of memory. Started suddenly for no
> apparent reason. Machine slows down and then goes so slow as to be
> unusable. I had to hit the reset button this time - kmenu wouldn't come up.

One of the possible causes is a memory leak in one of the applications, i.e.
an application continuously requesting new memory and not releasing it
because it "forgot" about having it.

The problem is that since the swapping makes the machine unresponsive, it is
hard to check which of the processes is doing it.

Sometimes it is not even an application as such, but a plugin within a running
application, e.g. a Kicker applet, a kded module, etc

If this happens a lot, you could consider running top, sorted by memory, in a
Konsole window while you are working and try to switch to it once it starts
the swapping.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring