KDE thrashing again

Patrick Nagel mail at patrick-nagel.net
Thu Apr 26 01:58:41 BST 2007

Hi,

Kevin Krammer (Thursday, 26. April 2007):
> Sometimes it is not even an application as such, but a plugin within a
> running application, e.g. a Kicker applet, a kded module, etc
>
> If this happens a lot, you could consider running top, sorted by memory, in
> a Konsole window while you are working and try to switch to it once it
> starts the swapping.

Running something like

while ((1)); do { top -n1 -b | tee -a top.log; sleep 30; } done

in a console constantly will give you a log of important details of your
system. After this happens again, open the file top.log and analyse the last
output of top, this way you should be able to find out what program /
plugin / ... causes the problem.

John (Wednesday, 25. April 2007):
> I think it's down to an update some where some time ago. I did notice a
> kernel update a couple of weeks ago due to something generating phantom
> processes but surely the kernel hasn't any problems like this.
>
> I often have ding running so I'm sure that doesn't cause a problem so it
> must be kde or one of the others. [...]
> I've also noticed my disk being accessed about every 20 secs or so
> from time to time.

This kind of information doesn't help with finding the cause at all. It's much
too vague and imprecise. If you really want help, or even getting noticed by
people who may be able to help, you should prepare more data and more
carefully. I hope the hint above helps with that. Another tool that might
help with the analysis: lsof (read the man page - for example type "man:lsof"
in Konqueror's URL bar - to understand what it does and how to operate it).

Patrick.

--
Key ID: 0x86E346D4            http://patrick-nagel.net/key.asc
Fingerprint: 7745 E1BE FA8B FBAD 76AB 2BFC C981 E686 86E3 46D4