this annoys me no end

Howard Coles jr dhcolesj at comcast.net
Tue Apr 10 00:08:15 BST 2007

On Monday 09 April 2007 06:04:01 am Rick Miles wrote:
> Philip Rodrigues is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
>
> > Rick Miles wrote:
> > > originally: this annoys the p--s out of me.
> > >
> > > where in the heck is kde/kmail address book kept????
>
> Thanks Philip,
>
> I have some things in my last /home backup under kabc don't know where the
> rest have gone.  Probably the result of dragging the same /home/user
> directory through numerous re-installs, upgrades of both slack and kde.
> It'd be nice to just have something to plop ones's old .kde into anynew
> version or at least be able to backup\restore the critical stuff.
>
> > Look in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc . The addressbook is std.vcf, and backups
> > are stored as std.vcf_<number>. So if your addressbook has been eaten,
> > just rename one of those backups (you probably want the most recent one)
> > to std.vcf .
> >
> > Regards,
> > Philip

Well, the problem is newer versions of KDE store the files in different
places.  And, if you keep your config directory kmail, kontact, and kabc rc
files along with your mail store directory everything will drag along just
fine.

The problem isn't that the addresses are gone (well, they may be now if the
directory they WERE stored in is gone), the problem may very well be that the
config is pointing to a different location.  if you do a search from your
home directory (or at least the .kde directory) you may find the std.vcf in
another location.  That file may have all your addresses, and if you copy it
to the new locations and restart kontact (or just reload the address book)
you should find your addresses again.

--

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

If "Early to bed and early to rise makes a man Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise,"
I must have stayed up too late, and stayed in bed too long!

http://home.comcast.net/~dhcolesj