this annoys me no end

Rick Miles frmrick at aapt.net.au
Tue Apr 10 19:37:28 BST 2007

Howard Coles jr is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!
> On Monday 09 April 2007 06:04:01 am Rick Miles wrote:
> > Philip Rodrigues is a darn nice person I don't care what anybody says!

> > Thanks Philip,
> >
> > I have some things in my last /home backup under kabc don't know where
> > the rest have gone.  Probably the result of dragging the same /home/user
> > directory through numerous re-installs, upgrades of both slack and kde.
> > It'd be nice to just have something to plop ones's old .kde into anynew
> > version or at least be able to backup\restore the critical stuff.
> >
> > > Look in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc . The addressbook is std.vcf, and
> > > backups are stored as std.vcf_<number>. So if your addressbook has been
> > > eaten, just rename one of those backups (you probably want the most
> > > recent one) to std.vcf .
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Philip
>
> Well, the problem is newer versions of KDE store the files in different
> places.  And, if you keep your config directory kmail, kontact, and kabc rc
> files along with your mail store directory everything will drag along just
> fine.
>
> The problem isn't that the addresses are gone (well, they may be now if the
> directory they WERE stored in is gone), the problem may very well be that
> the config is pointing to a different location.  if you do a search from
> your home directory (or at least the .kde directory) you may find the
> std.vcf in another location.  That file may have all your addresses, and if
> you copy it to the new locations and restart kontact (or just reload the
> address book) you should find your addresses again.

They were in my pre-upgrade backup and easily reinstalled by copying in

--
Cheers,

Rick Miles

Movement stopped is no movement,
and rest set in motion is no rest.

Written on Sweetmorn, the 28th of Discord, 3173
http://www.turtlespond.net/