font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Thu Oct 5 02:18:34 BST 2006

On 06/10/04 19:10 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:

> http://scanline.ca/dpi/ was the first insightful read-up on the topic.
> I still don't see why apps don't just rely on the calc'ed values from
> DisplaySize. The text goes about that it is "unreliable" but not in how far
> or why. (We're at "assumptions" again.)

That page makes plenty assumptions, good and bad. "Unreliable" isn't about what happens once DisplaySize is properly set, but rather about getting it properly set, and keeping it that way for users with multiple displays.
I touched on "getting it set" upthread. Displays can have good DDC, or bad DDC, or no DDC. Either of the latter means getting it properly set depends on good input from the user, and good data in the lookup databases often
used by the user. Much of that data is unreliable marketing junk rather than technical goodness.
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409