font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Wed Oct 4 18:10:16 BST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2006 16:25 schrieb Felix Miata:
> On 06/10/04 16:12 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:
> > Am Mittwoch, 4. Oktober 2006 15:16 schrieb Felix Miata:
> >> On 06/10/04 14:48 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:

> >> "Hardware set" includes a lot more than displays.
> >
> > Regarding dpi - not really.
>
> Continuing to make naive assumptions won't get you anywhere.

*Sigh*.
The display is the only piece of hardware that's involved in how big the
display itself is, the video card couldn't care less, it just pushes the
image in its buffers to the display, and the image in its buffers is
calculated by - software.

So much about "naive assumptions", I grew tired about elaborating about this
since we're not getting anywhere.
http://scanline.ca/dpi/ was the first insightful read-up on the topic.
I still don't see why apps don't just rely on the calc'ed values from
DisplaySize. The text goes about that it is "unreliable" but not in how far
or why. (We're at "assumptions" again.)

> Still looking. Lots of distros. It's not a high priority. Maybe KDE 4 will
> have it's own method to add to the lot, but I don't expect to test that
> before its first release.

(If I'm lucky by the time KDE4 is released enough cash piled up for a
MacBook.)

--

http://www.stop1984.com
http://www.againsttcpa.com