font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Mon Oct 2 19:58:25 BST 2006

On 06/10/02 20:44 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:

> The next few paragraphs are about ugly hacks to override here and override
> there what X deems correct.
> Maybe there's a misunderstanding, but I was rather looking for solutions, not
> for ugly hacks.

You call them hacks. Other people call them ways to make the problem go away, otherwise known as practical solutions.

Modern distros serve their own versions of X in varied ways. X is made up of several components, any of which can have its own idea what DPI is or is supposed to be. It's a complicated subject. That means no easy answer
given limited facts, and likely no easy answer even given copious facts. It should work right out of the box, but often doesn't, sometimes because one person's idea of "works" is different from the distro maker.

Maybe here you can find something you find more helpful and haven't already seen: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-linux-about.html
--
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him,
and I am helped."				Psalm 28:7 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409