font size, dpi and rendering in KDE and Gnome

Dexter Filmore Dexter.Filmore at gmx.de
Tue Oct 3 15:34:52 BST 2006

Am Montag, 2. Oktober 2006 20:58 schrieb Felix Miata:
> On 06/10/02 20:44 (GMT+0200) Dexter Filmore apparently typed:
> > The next few paragraphs are about ugly hacks to override here and
> > override there what X deems correct.
> > Maybe there's a misunderstanding, but I was rather looking for solutions,
> > not for ugly hacks.
>
> You call them hacks. Other people call them ways to make the problem go
> away, otherwise known as practical solutions.

"Practical solutions" means to me: apply, problem fixed.
These hacks mean: each time I upgrade the system I have to reapply that hack
manually - because it is no official solution.

> Modern distros serve their own versions of X in varied ways. X is made up
> of several components, any of which can have its own idea what DPI is or is
> supposed to be. It's a complicated subject. That means no easy answer given
> limited facts, and likely no easy answer even given copious facts. It
> should work right out of the box, but often doesn't, sometimes because one
> person's idea of "works" is different from the distro maker.

Strange, works on OSX and a certain otherwise looked down upon operating
system from Redmond.
And no, it actually *is* simple: provide screen dimensions in xorg.conf and
use the resulting values systemwide, I don't see how this is difficult.

> Maybe here you can find something you find more helpful and haven't already
> seen: http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/auth/Font/fonts-linux-about.html

I'll have a look at that.

--

http://www.stop1984.com