kde automount and notifier problem

Istvan Gabor suseuser04 at freemail.hu
Thu Nov 23 10:12:10 GMT 2006

Hello all:

I have suse 10.1 with KDE 3.5.5 release 39.1 (suse rpm).
This update of KDE changed the behavior when an USB
pendrive or CD/DVD medium is plugged/inserted in.
Earlier the system only showed a popup window saying:
"xxxxx removable media - kde daemon.  A new medium has
been found. What do you want to do?"
I could choose open, do nothing or cancel.

With this update I get the same notifier but the media is also
mounted and an icon is created at the same time.  I don't like
this since I want to mount the media myself and it also ruins
my desktop.

What I found so far:

In the KDE control center in KDE components / service
manager I found two entries that could be related to this:
1. KDED Media Manager
2. Media Notifier Daemon

If both are running the result is the above, notifier pops up and
the medium is mounted and the icon is created.

If only 1., KDED Media Manager is running then the media is
mounted but there is no notifier.
This is what is expected.

If only 2., Media Notifier Daemon is running then nothing
happens. The media is not mounted and there is no notifier
popup.
I would expect the notifier without mounting the media.

So the question:
I would like to see the notifier but the medium not to be
mounted.  How could a achievet that?

Thanks,
IG