AudioCD tags

Bogus Zaba b.zaba at britishlibrary.net
Sat Nov 25 19:45:37 GMT 2006

Andriy Babiy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My question is simple: what program should I use to set the tags?
> Actually, I need to change tags of audio tracks before burning them with
> k3b. I am not sure if those tags are the same that can be changed in mp3
> files. I tried to change tags through:
> 1) KDE Konqueror (right click on a filename -> Properties -> Meta Info);
> 2) tagmp3;
> 3) k3b (right click on an audio track -> Properties... ->
> Title/Performer, no Year/Genre tags there).
> I can see all the tags in KHex editor; I can see differences in tags
> when I change any of them using any of the aforementioned methods. But
> when I burn AudioCD and play it with KsCD, I see that some of disks were
> burnt with correct information (Performer / Album / Title), but many of
> them didn't have this information at all, so they are shown as Unknown
> Performer and Track 1 (2, 3, etc.). It looks that my changes had no
> effect at all.
> Is it a problem of setting tags? Or is it a problem of KsCD recognizing
> tags? Or is it a conflict of tag writing software versions? Or is it a
> problem with character encoding? Or is it simply a problem of my
> configuration?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your advice.
>
> Andriy

You will probably have the lame library installed - doing all the actual
mp3 encoding work behind the scenes. If, in a console window you type
"man lame" you will see the very many options that lame has available,
including id3 tag options like --tt title and --ta artist --tl album etc
etc. So you can use lame to achieve what you want with commands like :

lame --tt 'Penny Road' --ta 'The Beatles' file_in.mp3 file_out.mp3

This approach has certainly worked for me. Plus if you learn about other
lame options you can make the new track louder, quieter, more/less
compressed etc.

Bogus