Have apps on root window or disable window decoration?

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Wed May 17 12:47:31 BST 2006

Hi,

Yann Bodson said:
| > 2) Use a dashboard- (Mac OS X) or Desklet- (Gnome) like
| > capability.
| >   OK.  But I don't know if KDE has such a capability or
| >   if there are such applications.
|
| KDE has such a functionality called SuperKaramba.

Great!  I found SuperKaramba quite useful and *promising*.
I mean, unfortunately, some SuperKaramba applets aren't
as mature as one wishes.  The analog clock which look best
to me consumes half of the CPU cycles!  (and this bug
has already been reported.)  Another problem to me is that
the whole idea of this type of system (including the Dashboard
and Desklet systems) leans toward *fancy* and fancy-looking
applets.  I'm not against all eye-candy stuff, but I'd like
some applications to remain "unfancy".  For example, compare
the good old xclock with beautiful-looking clocks for Karamba.
The latter are beautiful for sure, but I want my analog clock
to be perfectly unobtrusive, so I definitely prefer the look
of xlock.  Well, I don't mean to discourage people.  As I said,
the SuperKaramba system seems to be a great framework.
I might even try to create my own clock for SuperKaramba.

Bram Schoenmakers said:

| > I want to have a simple analog clock on my root window of every
| > desktop.  I don't want it to appear on my task bar.
|
| Another way is to use window specific rules:
|
| 1) Open the application you want to show on your desktop (xclock for
|    example)
| 2) Right click a title bar and choose Configure Window Behaviour.
| 3) Select the Window Specific Settings section
| 4) Create a new rule
| 5) Press the detect button and click on the xclock window. Now
|    you're going to define settings for that specific window
| 6) In the tab Preferences:
| 	a. Set Keep Below to Force (and don't forget the check behind
|          the combo!)
| 	b. Set No border to Force (check as well)
| 	c. Maybe some more preferences
| 7) OK, OK. Done

Thanks for the info!  Unfortunately, I have no idea as to why, but
this method doesn't work for me.  I let the dialogue "detect" xclock
by clicking on an xclock window.  "xclock XClock" appears on the box,
indicating xclock was successfully detected.  I then set "Keep Below"
to "Force", "Skip Task Bar" to "Force", etc., an did OK, Apply, and
OK. But, my xlock remains on the task bar, it goes over other windows,
etc.  In short, it remains unchanged as far as I can tell.
I tried this process three times.  Once on my Debian Linux box at my
office, and twice on my other box at home, to no avail.   Hm. . . .

Regards,
Ryo