Default values for ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals?

Niki Kovacs contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Mar 31 14:11:48 BST 2006

Quoting Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:

> Sorry, there is a misunderstanding. The given command does not install
> anything it lists the directory where KDE's global configuration is
> installed.
> For example on my system at home it will print
> /etc/kde3
> on my system at work it will print
> /usr/share/config
>
> So you actually should try this as root:
> $ cp kdeglobal $(kde-config --expandvars --install config)

We're getting nearer! (Thanks very much for the fast response, by the way...)
I've found some docs on the web and tried to get a grasp. Looks like I have one
small problem to solve, and it should work.

Anyway: global settings for KDE are stored under /opt/kde/share (or
/opt/kde/share/config). As far as I understand, the command for outputting the
search path for configuration files is:

$ kde-config -path config

When I do this as normal user, I get:
[kikinovak at experimental3:~] $ /opt/kde/bin/kde-config -path config
/home/kikinovak/.kde/share/config/:/opt/kde/share/config/

And as root:
[root at experimental3:/home/kikinovak] # /opt/kde/bin/kde-config -path config
/root/.kde/share/config/:/opt/kde/share/config/

So things are as they should *normally* be, e. g. first search the user's home
directory for a config file, and if it's not there, take what you find in
/opt/kde/share/config.

Now what I want to do is invert this, e. g. put /opt/kde/share/config ahead of
the search path, *before* ~/.kde/share/config... any idea how I could achieve
this? Because that's what my problem amounts to.

Cheers,

Niki