KPDF

Eyolf Ostrem eyolf at oestrem.com
Sun Mar 19 15:56:06 GMT 2006

On Sun 19 March 2006 16:43, John wrote:
> I've just checked pdf reading with acrobat. It's instantaneous were as KPDF
> is virtually unusable.

Yes, once you have loaded the app, but for every-day usage, I vastly prefer
kpdf, because it starts up very quickly, whereas Adobe... well... it takes
its time to load.
Of course, Adobe is the better pdf viewer, on the whole, and once in a while,
I need the extra functionality, but most of the time - e.g. if I download a
pdf from the net, or even worse: click on a link without checking that it's
actually a pdf - I use kpdf, and although it's (still) behind, it's not THAT
far behind.

> The odobe version also gives page icons - very
> useful if there are lots of pages.

KPDF has page preview as well - it's just a matter of turning it on in the
menu (Settings > Show Navigation panel).

> I can't see any way of restoring an adobe plugin in Konq. Can some one help
> or offer any suggestions? As far as I can see konq uses a netscape pdf
> plugin which one would assume aught to be an adobe version. There doesn't
> seem to be any mime type association for pdf files. So it's built in??

Can't help you with Konq, since I don't use it, but in general: Control centre
> KDE Components > File associations should give you adobe back if you want
it.

Regards,
Eyolf

--
Earth -- mother of the most beautiful women in the universe.
		-- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1