can't get a vanilla 3.5.1 env w/ Konstruct

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 6 16:41:14 GMT 2006

Jeff Dooley wrote:

> I'm still left wondering why my konstruct-compiled sources use
> profiles from the kubuntu-default-settings. If someone can explain
> that to me, I would still like to know.

Installing a distro version of KDE alongside a self compiled version tends
to knock up against problems like this if the distro version lives in the
'standard' system directories. A particular example would be binaries that
go in $KDEDIR/bin - if $KDEDIR is /usr for your distro, then the distro KDE
binaries go in /usr/bin, and are likely to be found first by whatever apps
are searching your $PATH to find the distro binaries before the
konstruct-installed binaries.

The solution is to do one of two things: either make sure the
distro-installed version is in a completely non-standard path, where it
won't be found by ./configure checks or anything looking for, say
"kde-config", or deinstall the distro version of KDE, install the konstruct
version, then install the distro version again. Actually, I'm not sure of
the second of those - you might end up with the same problems (it would
make everything clean at compile time though).

Hope some of that is useful,
Phil