can't get a vanilla 3.5.1 env w/ Konstruct

Jeff Dooley jfd5xte at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 09:51:39 GMT 2006

Hi all,

here's what I've done so far, and I'm hoping someone can explain to me
what I'm missing:

-created a new user, kde351
-downloaded and unpacked latest konstruct
-assured i have the necessary development libraries thru my distro's packages
-as the new user, konstruct builds successfully into /home/kde351/kde3.5.1
-per the README, the QTDIR, KDEDIR, KDEDIRS, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, & PATH
env-vars are reset to the above path.
-added a '~/.xinitrc' with a line: /home/kde351/kde3.5.1/bin/startkde
-made sure that no old .kde/.qt/etc files were pre-existing in this user's $HOME

and furthermore, I copied the '/etc/kderc' to '~/.kderc'  while
changing the line:
prefixes=/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/
prefixes=/home/kde351/kde3.5.1/

unfortunately, I still observe the following discrepancies from a
purely vanilla kde installation:
-the wallpaper is a kubuntu wallpaper from /usr/share/wallpapers
-the spinning gear in Konqy is the kubuntu children instead of the gear
-the "window" menu in Konqy is missing (as per the default kubuntu installation)
-the Konqy "View Profiles" include 'Kubuntu File Manager' and 'Kubuntu
Web' instead of the vanilla KDE versions.
-there are probably more, but I think you get the general idea

So my question is: how do I keep this kde351 user on my kubuntu system
isolated from the other kubuntu settings?

FWIW: This is kubuntu 6.04 Dapper Drake, Flight 4. I'm fairly sure
that gcc-3.4 was used for the actual compiliation (and though I might
have messed this up, since it appears to have built correctly, I don't
think this is a compilation issue). I have attached the full
'/etc/kderc' and '/etc/kde-user-profile' files below:
$cat /etc/kderc
[Directories]
userProfileMapFile=/etc/kde-user-profile

[Directories-default]
prefixes=/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kde-profile/default/
$cat /etc/kde-user-profile
[General]
groups=