Kmail and fetch mail lockup

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 2 19:43:44 GMT 2006

On Thursday 02 March 2006 11:03, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
>Thanks to Bram Schoenmakers for pointing me to the bug about this.  I
> just wouldn't have believed that an app like Kmail in a project like
> KDE could be this braindead!
>
>One of the comments on the but suggested using fetchmail to get mail
> and then have KDE get it locally.  I used fetchmail to get mail for
> pine until I swithced to Kmail and then I turned fetchmail off.  How
> do I set KDE up to get mail from fetchmail.  I did some checking when
> I first setup Kmail but didn't see anything and then never got back
> to it.

Have fetchmail deliver it to the /var/spool/mail/$user file, which if
its started as that user, and the fetchmailrc is correct, is painless.

However, recently I've plugged procmail into that because procmail can
take care of running spamassassin for you, further reducing the hangs
inherent in that for kmail.  The lags aren't gone, but are almost
tolerable.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: