Konqueror, copying files, and ACLs

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Wed Jun 7 16:03:52 BST 2006

Yo all!

[ please cc: me, thanks a lot ]

With version 3.5 (3.5.0bposomething on Debian sarge in my case), konqueror
seems to have changed its behaviour regarding file ACLs:  when copying a
file, konq also copies the ACL to the destination file.  Unix shell 'cp',
and also older konq versions, did not preserve the acls but let the default
acls of the destination directory take effect - which is exactly what we
had in mind when designing our directory structure[1].

Anybody knows if this is run time configurable behaviour?  Or should I
expect future versions of coreutils 'cp' to also behave like that?

[1] We have 'mailbox directories': people stuff files in there for another
person to read & process.  The other person needs the file to have the new
default acl of that mailbox directory, because else she can't write that
file.

Open and save as new file would work, but strikes me as a bit cumbersome.

cheers & thanks in advance.
-- vbi

[again: please cc: me.  I'll try to read the list archives, but I'm prone to
forgetting that...]

--
One person's error is another person's data.