UTF8 encoding

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 9 18:54:44 BST 2006

Martin (KDE) wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer schrieb:
>> KDE wrote:
>>
>>> Hello there,
>>>
>>> I am currently changing from iso latin 1 encoding to utf8 and dicovered
>>> some problems. No KDE application I found so far is able to
>>> automatically select the right encoding of a file (content or filename
>>> itself) or directory. In Kate/kwrite I can change the encoding by hand.
>>> I kedit I have not found any encoding selection.
>>>
>>> Can I (if yes how) set the kde programs to autodetect the encoding (like
>>> vim and emacs) at least for the content (I usually do not use umlauts in
>>> flienames)?
>>
>> You can't auto detect an UTF-8 file if it only contains Latin 1 glyphs
>> because the first page of Unicode is Latin 1.
>
> Hm, emacs and vi have some intelligence about detecting the encoding of
> the file. Thats why I asked. Would be nice if kde get it too.

I'm sorry but I don't know how that works.  You are welcome to post this
as a Wish List item for a requested feature at:

	http://bugs.kde.org/

If this is possible it would be a useful feature.

>> IIUC, KDE will use your system settings for UTF-8 (at least it works on
>> my system).  You need to have the system set:
>
> This works very well. But the problem are the old files from the last
> then or more years. They are coded in iso8859-15 style. Those files
> looks very ugly in an editor set to utf8.

I presume that you know that you can set the encoding in KWrite:

  	Tools -> Encoding

and that you can convert the encoding of a file:

	File -> Save As

and select the encoding to save in the upper right corner of the: "Save
File" dialog.

--
JRT