kcminit problem.

David Corbin kde.org at machturtle.com
Sun Jul 23 17:00:58 BST 2006

I've been having a kcminit problem for a a few days, since I upgrade my X11 to
to 7.0.  For the record, it's a Gentoo system.  I've solved the problem, but
wish to share the solution for any others that run into this.

After logging in (via KDM), I'd get a SIGSEGV from kcminit.  The backtrace was
not useful.  Once I closed the dialog from kcrash, KDE came up and seem to be
OK.  I noticed one odd behavior, which was I was getting audible bells in
certain circumstances even with the KMixer Mute turned on, and headphones
plugged in.

The problem in my case turned out to be with kgamma.  I didn't have it, but
kcm seemed to think I did.  Rebuilding kdegraphics corrected the problem.
But the useful part of this message is how I figured this out.

At first, I ketp logging out and back in to see if I could figure out more.
It turns out, if you run kcminit from a command line (konsole), it gives some
information. Even better, you can run "kcminit --list" to see which services
KDE is trying to initialize.  And then you can run kcminit <module> to where
<module> comes from the --list output.   This attempts to initialize just
that one service.  Trying this for all the services, I figured out that
kgamma was the only problem.

Since kgamma wasn't on the system, I did an "equery belongs kgamma" to find
out which ebuild would provide it, and then re-emerged that package. Poof.
Better.

David