Kmail and spam filtering

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jul 22 19:19:38 BST 2006

nigel henry wrote:

> I download my mail direct from my ISPs POP3 server to Kmail. Having just
> had my second email address cracked by spammers, I think it's about time
> that I started filtering the spam out.
>
> Can anyone give me some specific help, as to what I need to use, and how
> to set it up, so that I can filter the spam out that's downloaded to Kmail
> direct from my ISP?
>
> I do not have a mailserver setup, apart from Sendmail running, so that I
> can read local mail, logwatch, etc, in Kmail.
>
> Any help really appreciated.

Should be as simple as installing spamassassin or bogofilter, then running
Tools->Anti-spam wizard in KMail. Note that spam filtering can be slow, so
you might want to add some extra filter rules (in settings->configure
filters) that bypass the spam checking as often as possible (eg, if the
sender is in your address book).

Regards,
Philip