Kmail and spam filtering

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Sat Jul 22 21:16:34 BST 2006

On Saturday 22 July 2006 20:19, Philip Rodrigues wrote:
> nigel henry wrote:
> > I download my mail direct from my ISPs POP3 server to Kmail. Having just
> > had my second email address cracked by spammers, I think it's about time
> > that I started filtering the spam out.
> >
> > Can anyone give me some specific help, as to what I need to use, and how
> > to set it up, so that I can filter the spam out that's downloaded to
> > Kmail direct from my ISP?
> >
> > I do not have a mailserver setup, apart from Sendmail running, so that I
> > can read local mail, logwatch, etc, in Kmail.
> >
> > Any help really appreciated.
>
> Should be as simple as installing spamassassin or bogofilter, then running
> Tools->Anti-spam wizard in KMail. Note that spam filtering can be slow, so
> you might want to add some extra filter rules (in settings->configure
> filters) that bypass the spam checking as often as possible (eg, if the
> sender is in your address book).
>
> Regards,
> Philip

I'm not sure how well thats going to work on FC2 (no anti spam wizard in
Kmail), with KDE 3.2.2-14.FC2.2.legacy, and mentioning legacy, I've just got
an email from Fedora Legacy saying FC1, and 2 are going to lose support from
about the 26th July, but I did realise the day was arriving.

Anyway. I mainly use FC2, but have also got FC3,4, and 5. I'll try Bogofilter
out on FC5, presume that Kmail there has the anti spam wizard, but it would
be nice to get the spamfiltering going on FC2 also.

I DL'd Bogofilter 1.0.2, and 1.0.3, and read through a lot of the FAQs, and
have just found some HOWTOs for Bogofilter and Kmail, on Google.

Thanks.  Nigel.