Unable to locate PostScript driver

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jul 21 17:49:30 BST 2006

David J Brooks wrote:
> I'm trying to connect to a network printer.
>
> Starting at KMenu->Print System->Print Manager I enter administrator mode and
> select 'Add printer/class' from the Add menu. This starts the Add Printer
> Wizard. I select remote LPD Queue add the host and queue info. At the Printer
> Model  Selection page I check the box for Postscript Printer and get a
> warning dialog: "Unable to find the Postscript driver."
>
> I have Ghostscript installed and working fine with my local printer, so I KNOW
> it's there. Why can't KDE find it? Where is it looking for the postscript
> driver?

GhostScript is not the PostScript driver.

If you have a printer with PostScript built in, you don't need a device
(or driver) for GhostScript and you don't use a printer "driver".

With some printer setup tools, you would configure the printer as RAW.
You send it the PostScript file without any modification.

I suggest that if you are using LPD that it might not work with the KDE
setup tools and you might need to use the tools that came with LPD.

--
JRT