Unable to locate PostScript driver

David J Brooks daeg at houston.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 18:26:35 BST 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 11:49, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> David J Brooks wrote:
> > I'm trying to connect to a network printer.
> >
> > Starting at KMenu->Print System->Print Manager I enter administrator mode
> > and select 'Add printer/class' from the Add menu. This starts the Add
> > Printer Wizard. I select remote LPD Queue add the host and queue info. At
> > the Printer Model  Selection page I check the box for Postscript Printer
> > and get a warning dialog: "Unable to find the Postscript driver."
> >
> > I have Ghostscript installed and working fine with my local printer, so I
> > KNOW it's there. Why can't KDE find it? Where is it looking for the
> > postscript driver?
>
> GhostScript is not the PostScript driver.
>
> If you have a printer with PostScript built in, you don't need a device
> (or driver) for GhostScript and you don't use a printer "driver".
>
> With some printer setup tools, you would configure the printer as RAW.
> You send it the PostScript file without any modification.
>
> I suggest that if you are using LPD that it might not work with the KDE
> setup tools and you might need to use the tools that came with LPD.

As it turns out, the CUPS web interface was able to make the connection to the
remote LPD very easily using 'generic postscript driver'. And KDE can
apparently find the printer once it has been set up under CUPS..

David
--
Sure God created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.