transparency and slide show very slow

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jul 21 02:08:10 BST 2006

Andy Goldschmidt wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I'm running KDE 3.5 on Ubuntu (Dapper).
> I have transparency turned on because it looks nice. On my Pc when I
> have set the background to slide show and added a whole bunch of my own
> pics. When the background changes, my pc slows down. If I chnage to
> another desktop (I have 6 of them) it lags for a few seconds. The
> background changes immediately, but the backgound in my terminals takes
> a few seconds to update to the new screen background.
>
> When I change to desktop 1 (with firefox and evolution open), firefox
> takes ages to respond, it jus sits there greyed out for a good 10 - 15
> seconds.
>
> Ive got a pentium 4 2Ghz with 1 gig ram. Onboard video (dell pc)
>
> any ideas why the background change is hurting my pc soo much ?
>
> I used to use Mandriva with older KDE and the background change always
> worked 100 %.

Onboard video is improving, an Intel 945 is supposed to be good, but
Intel 7xxs leave something to be desired.

IAC, You need to enable support for it.  If it worked OK before and now
doesn't, there is probably a configuration issue.

You need, in the X configuration file:

     	Load       "glx"
     	Load       "dri"

      *     *     *

      Section "Device"
     	Identifier  	"<whatever>"
     	Driver      	"<driver_name>"

You *must* have the <driver_name> correct.  Do you know which
NorthBridge chip your MotherBoard is using?

You need Mesa that is built with: DRI

You need a Kernel with the needed DRM driver for your chip and if this
is a module, you need to be sure that it gets installed.

I also had to change my BIOS setup, but that was probably because I had
previously changed it.  If you never touched it, it should be OK.

Leave your X session, login on a Console as root and:

	killall kdm

then logout and log back in as your user account.  Run this:

	startx > my_X.log 2>&1

and read the log.

Look for error messages.

--