kmail send problem

jeff grant kubin3 at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 04:43:32 GMT 2006

On Sunday 08 January 2006 14:55, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> >I had much the same thing until I played around with the ports and with
> >the
> >security settings -  i.e. whether the server requires encryption and
> >what
> >authentication method. Clicking to check what the server required -
> >which
> >sounds like a pretty sound notion - didn't help at all (!) so I had to
> >try
> >out different combinations till I found one that did work. If it's of
> >any
> >help my smtp now works perfectly with no encryption and LOGIN
> >authentication.
> >The port I'm using is 587.
>
> So far no luck.  But doesn't the "Unrecognized transport protocol..."
> message and the fact that this wasn't a problem until the upgrade
> suggest that the problem is in kmail, not a server authentication or
> port problem?
>
> Where did you look to trouble shoot?
> Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm talking here as a newcomer to Linux - though a very old hand at Windoze -
so take what I say with the appropriate pinch of salt, even though I actually
got Kmail to work perfectly. Messages such as the one you cite - certainly in
Windows and maybe from time to time in Linux also - aren't always to be taken
as gospel in terms of the problem they appear to highlight - in other words,
the transport protocol - whatever that is - might not be precisely the
problem. At one point in my attempts to get this right I had exactly the same
message come up. I found that I had put in my own name in the top line of the
'General' tab and it was telling me therefore that it didn't recognize a
'Jeff Grant transport protocol. When I changed that to AOL - yes, that's my
ISP, believe it or not - I got a different message, That in itself didn't
solve the problem because I then got a series of other messages in subsequent
attempts. In the end, as I said before, I simply played around until I found
a combination of things that worked and still continues to work. And as for
trouble-shooting, that's all I did. I'd learned from using Mozilla
Thunderbird in Windows that you needed to get the port and the security
combinations exactly right.

I hope that's of some help. I don't know enough about Kmail to know whether or
not your problem's caused by a bug in it, but something in my water tells me
it's not and that it's to do with some aspect of configuration.

Jeff