From a rookie

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Fri Jan 6 21:02:11 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 12:34 -0800, Freddy Flores wrote:

> How are those libraries related / dependent on one another /
> conflicting?
> Can we combine them?
> It all looks like a trapping plot for us to use a collage of things
> that should not be mixed; a scheme made up by our professor.
>
> Is X-Lib the basis for all of them?
No.
> Are they related in any form to Unix-Curses?
Well, the curses library should be, though I suppose there are various
implementations.

Curses is for terminal (full screen) rather than GUI interfaces.

X libraries are part of the X windows systems, which does GUI's.
Alternatives are windowing systems from MS or Apple, though X has been
ported to both.  X is relatively low-level and open-ended.

Qt is a higher-level graphical (and some non-graphical) toolkit.  It
rides on top of whatever window system is native to the platform.  I
think it's available for *nix, Apple (which is a type of Unix, but the
preferred graphics system is not X) and MS-Windows, and maybe others.

KDE is built on Qt.  KDE is a complete desktop system, with many parts.
Native language is C++.

GNOME is another desktop system.  It uses GTK (I think) as its higher
level graphics library; GTK is (always?) built on top of X. Native
language is C.

So on Linux, for example, Qt and thus KDE depend on X.  Generally you
can run any X-based app under any of the desktops.  I run GNOME apps
under KDE all the time.

You may also want to distinguish particularly libraries from complete
software systems.  KDE and GNOME include various libraries, but they
have other stuff too.
Ross

> [...]
>         produce the
>         results required. Once that is achieved, then it can be
>         rewritten to use
>         faster and more sophisticated tools such as Qt.
>
>         I have used the LAMP technique to write a system for listing
>         customers and
>         deliveries for takeaway restaurants and for a data management
>         system for an
>         executive employment agency.
>
>         Hope this helps
>
>         Basil Fowler
>

>         On Friday 06 Jan 2006 16:36, Francisco Quintero wrote:
>         > My best wishes to you all.
>         >
>         > I am studying programming and I am marveled at the things
>         you people can
>         > do with C++ , which my professors say is the foundation for
>         the whole Linux
>         > development. I have been following this list fr a couple of
>         weeks and I
>         > feel much too humble with my folllowing request for help. I
>         am sure my
>         > doubts and confusion will seem trivial to you guys, for
>         which I ask you to
>         > forgive me.
>         >
>         > We need to know the relations among standard libraries,
>         particularly to
>         > handling the screen and general I/O, in terms of -
>         Dependency - Parallelism
>         > - Conflict - or persona preference; ... among the following:
>         >
>         > Curses
>         > X lib.
>         > QT
>         > KDE
>         > Gnome
>         >
>         > I am one of a group of students who must develop a fairly
>         large, college
>         > project (Registartion, courses, grades, students general
>         control; and so
>         > on) and it must be 1005 portable among Linux platforms; and
>         preferably also
>         > to MS-Windows (Sorry for my language).
>         >
>         > We already know this is probably already available in the
>         Free Software
>         > community, but our goal is precisely to do this ourselves,
>         as a pre-thesis
>         > project.
>         >
>         > Key Words are:
>         > Portable
>         > Free
>         > Efficient: Fast and small in terms of resources demanded.
>         >
>         > Is it possible to have the very same application running on
>         various
>         > clients, over Gnome, KDE, QT, Unix Curses and plain X-lib;
>         just by
>         > recompiling the same source code, "infested" with a ziollion
>         IFDEF´s ?
>         >
>         > Please refer us to any source of doc, English or Spanish ...

Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062