From a rookie

Freddy Flores freddyfloresq at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 6 20:34:34 GMT 2006

  Thank you lots.
  Yes, I agree with U both, 100%.

  However, this is a College project; and we are required by the department to write the application using C++.
  We must select any combination of those libraries, one or more (or all?!) to produce the code. We are allowed yo use a database engine for the central reservoir (MySql sounds like first choice), but the main purpose of our course is to show evidence of our mastering Portability adn standards.

  None of us has a large experience (average age is 21), so we still hold our first doubts:
  How are those libraries related / dependent on one another / conflicting?
  Can we combine them?
  It all looks like a trapping plot for us to use a collage of things that should not be mixed; a scheme made up by our professor.

  Is X-Lib the basis for all of them?
  Are they related in any form to Unix-Curses?

  We agree, and it was our first thought, to use a script language; but we got a loud NO from our "lovely" coach.

  Thank U again.
  Frank.
  _____________________

Basil Fowler <bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
  Estimado Sr Quntero

>From what I read, this looks like a large database project. If this reading
is true, then a good way to go about it is to use the L/W AMP structure.

The acronym stands for Linux/Windows, Apache, Mysql, Python/PHP/Perl.

The data is held in tables managed by the Mysql database engine. The data is
displayed and entered via a web browser - such as Firefox - which receives
and send its data to and from the Apache web server. The data is passed
between Apache and Mysql via scripts written in any one or more of Python /
Perl / PHP.

The advantage of this setup is that all the components mentioned above are
available for both Window and Linux. Once finished on Linux, the only
modifications necessary to get the scripts to run under Windows will be some
changes to file paths. If you plan for such a migration, you should define
the base paths as global constants somewhere. Then all you have to do is
change these constants.

By its very nature, the application is network aware.

All the programming is scripted, which makes for rapid development.
In such a project the important thing is to get it to work and produce the
results required. Once that is achieved, then it can be rewritten to use
faster and more sophisticated tools such as Qt.

I have used the LAMP technique to write a system for listing customers and
deliveries for takeaway restaurants and for a data management system for an
executive employment agency.

Hope this helps

Basil Fowler