Kbear: Fish protocol seems not to work

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Feb 7 22:20:55 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 15:36, Justin Denick wrote:
> On 2/6/06, SOTL <sotl155360 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > On Monday 30 January 2006 02:35 pm, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > I've been trying to help someone out with this problem, and not using
> >
> > Kbear
> >
> > > installed it on one of my Debian distro's. I have no problems using
> > > Fish with Konqueror in both directions from my 2 machines. Kbear works
> > > ok
> >
> > using
> >
> > > the FTP protocol. I removed the key on the Debian machine
> > > from. /home/user_name/.ssh/known_hosts. Then started Kbear. Entered the
> > > IPaddress of the other machine, selected "Fish" as protocol, entered
> >
> > user
> >
> > > name, and password, and for it to access /home/user directory. Asking
> > > it

> > > connect brings up the request panel regarding the key. "Do you want to
> > > continue?" "Yes". Kbear then creates a new key to replace the one I had
> > > deleted for accessing this IPaddress. This is as far as it gets. It
> > > just hangs then, and doesn't connect to the address.
> > >
> > > Anyone any suggestions?
>
> Make sure the perms on both the .ssh directory and the .know_hosts file are
> accurate.
> Look at the /var/auth.log or /var/ssh.log to validate any decrepancies you
> may find.

Hi Justin. The only file I have is /home/user_name/.ssh/known_hosts . The
others don't exist. But? If Konqueror works with the fish protocol ok, there
logically should be no reason why Kbear should not work using the fish
protocol, unless it's broken in Kbear. As I've previously said. It appears to
partially work, as, if I remove the RSA key
in /home/user_name/.ssh/known_hosts, Kbear recreates it, so it logically must
be partially working.

I don't use Kbear, but am merely trying to help SOTL with this problem.
Konqueror works fine for me with fish, and I normally use Gftp for
transferring files between my machines. But even Gftp has the options to use
other protocols, and I find they don't work. I suppose basically, both Gftp,
and Kbear are ftp clients, and work fine with that protocol. Nigel.