File associations for opening attachments - how to change?

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 11:36:00 GMT 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 10:31, Basil Fowler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I use kde 3.4.2 that came with Mandriva 2006.  The disto came with
> OpenOffice 1.1.5.  I have installed OpenOffice 2.0.1.
>
> I wish to use OO-2-writer as the default application for opening .doc files
> and similar. Kontact came set up to use OO 1.5.  I have tried to use  the
> Open With option, clicking on the box marked "Remember application...".
> I then see the "Updating System Configuration window" appear.
>
> I have changed the mime type in Konqueror file manger.
>
> However the next time I try to open a .doc file, the program used is 00
> 1.1.5
>
> What is going wrong?
>
> TIA
>
> Basil Fowler

Basil
Think you will find the answer to that in K-MENU - Control Centre - KDE
Components - File Associations. On mine the open office associations are
under vnd.oasis.................. . Think you will find that more than one
app is associated with .doc or none at all. I haven't opened any .doc files
for quite a while so can't test it but it should be easy to try and also sort
it out there.
Regards
John
--