File associations for opening attachments - how to change?

Basil Fowler bjfowler at chanzy.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 10:31:00 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I use kde 3.4.2 that came with Mandriva 2006.  The disto came with OpenOffice
1.1.5.  I have installed OpenOffice 2.0.1.

I wish to use OO-2-writer as the default application for opening .doc files
and similar. Kontact came set up to use OO 1.5.  I have tried to use  the
Open With option, clicking on the box marked "Remember application...".
I then see the "Updating System Configuration window" appear.

I have changed the mime type in Konqueror file manger.

However the next time I try to open a .doc file, the program used is 00 1.1.5

What is going wrong?

TIA

Basil Fowler