At last - Kmail spam filtering - info

John john_82 at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 21:36:20 GMT 2006

I have finally got my spam filtering to work using kmail filters. It works
well and I don't get any spam at all in my inbox now. Most of the spam goes
straight to the trash folder and mail that doesn't fit the rules goes to a
folder I've called inbox?.

For anybody else who is interested.
The 1st filter rule states that if the mail isn't to one of my accounts it
goes into the trash folder. This takes care of a lot of spam.

The 2nd rule looks to see if the to field contains one of my accounts and then
checks that it has come from specific sources - if not it goes to trash. I
will be inserting more of these.

The 3rd rule simply checks that it's from somebody in my address book and if
not places it in inbox?

What's left goes to my inbox - it's addressed to me and comes from some one I
know. No chance of accidentally deleting those now.

I was slightly confused by the multiple address book option assuming that
these would be categories. I created 2 categories called me and specific and
put all addresses including my own in one address book. I now need to add
specific mail.kde handling and try the pop filters which I assume will ensure
I always put mail.kde in the reply to field.
Checking the spam now consists of manually moving a few mails that get into
inbox?, deleting the rest and very quickly scanning the trash folder before
emptying it. Much much quicker than checking through the inbox.

--
Regards
John