Slow display access in konqueror

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sat Apr 29 06:47:54 BST 2006

Hi!
  I would like to ask for an experience with the following problem:
  Recently I've bought a new system based on a DFI Lanparty board and a
GeForce 6200 graphics card in a PCIEx16 slot with Dual Core Opteron 2G as
the main CPU.
  I've found that I cannot use the proprietary Nvidia driver. The problem is
that I'm extensively using the text console mode in a high resolution and the
only possibility how to achieve this was activating the nvidia framebuffer
support in the kernel (my video BIOS doesn't offer anything more than 80xN
and SVGATextMode is unusable for this card). When I tried to install the Nvidia
driver, it asked me to disable my kernel framebuffer support :-(. So I'm using
the xorg's builtin nv one.
  And finally, about the problem: Generally, the system is very fast. KDE
starts up for about 6 seconds for the first time on a freshly booted system
(bottleneck in the hard disk bandwidth, even it's a SATA-II) and subsequent
starts are below 2 secs. Amazing! However, *some* graphical operations are
*unbelievably* slow. For example, rendering a page in konqueror occurs in one -
two steps, but every step takes about 3 seconds (!) and one may observe the
process, how the image is slowly appearing from top to bottom of the screen.
Please be aware that it's not slow khtml rendering, it's slow copying of the
rendered image to the physical window. Scrolling of the page is a pain - every
small movement of the scroll slider causes a "wave" going upside down and
redrawing the contents. I think that a dialog box saying "Please wait, putting
a pixel" would be appropriate here :-).
  This behaviour contrasts with the rest of the system - even the graphical
actions like appearing/disappearing of windows with full contents are nicely
fast. I've found a second app - kpat - which probably exhibits something
similar. The card movement is very choppy and it seems that the system is
totally busy when playing a demo :-). However, I can play any video in kaffeine
or kmplayer without a glich and with CPU load of 0.20 :-).
  Even on a much weaker systems (like my notebook with SIS chipset, also with
2D acceleration only) the same KDE doesn't show such a problem.
  Does anybody have any hint, what's the possible cause and how to fix it ?
                          With regards, Pavel Troller