any benefit to 64-bit?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed Apr 19 08:41:18 BST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 00.24, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I am about to upgrade to Fedora Core 5, and was wondering if there's any
> benefit to using the 64-bit release since I have an Athlon-64.

I haven't made a complete comparison, but running Gentoo-64 here on a double
Opteron I'd say that you won't see much improvement. As far as I understand
the speed gain in working with 64 bit chunks is rather theoretical - I chose
the 64 bit version because 64 bit is the future so better start soon :)

> Does KDE
> benefit from 64- over 32-bit packages?

I don't think so. But maybe I'm wrong.

Thierry

--
Stupidity is like a fractal; universal and infinitely repetitive.