Mysterious messages on console when starting KDE

SnapafunFrank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Fri Sep 16 04:23:28 BST 2005

Andreas Davour wrote:

>When I startup KDE I get these odd messages on the console I start from.
>I have begun to experience some odd instabilities and wonder if this is
>due to a X upgrade or something I have done to my KDE installation.
>
>Unfortunately I have no idea how long these messages have been showing
>up since I usually don't look at the console once X have started.
>
>I use KDE port kde-3.4.2 for FreeBSD and since I have a very slow
>machine I don't want to upgrade unless it's a known problem.
>
>Suggestions for places to look for problems and solutions, like TFM is
>appreciated.
>
>This is how it looks:
>-----------------------
>
>startkde: Starting up...
>ASSERT: "false" in randr.cpp (448)
>kbuildsycoca running...
>kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: Undefined symbol "init_kdnssd"
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/local/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/screen.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/local/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/screen.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/local/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/screen.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/local/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/screen.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/local/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
>konsole: WARNING: Unable to use
>/usr/local/share/apps/konsole/screen.desktop
>
>---------------------------------------
>
>the permissions on e.g. /usr/local/share/apps/konsole/screen.desktop is
>-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel
>which looks correct to me.
>
>/andreas

Just a silly thought :

You wouldn't happen to be starting up as root would you ?

I'm on Mandriva but I see these sorts of messages when I start up a GUI
from Konsole and usually as root.

The only other thought is that you are somehow defaulting your startup
from the command line shell and
though everything looks OK otherwise, the console you are using could be
minimized or some such ?

 From your console command prompt, try to start up something simple ( as
root ), like your favourite GUI text editor and see if you get simular
messages.

--
Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213  [ http://counter.li.org/ ]