Mysterious messages on console when starting KDE

Andreas Davour ante at Update.UU.SE
Thu Sep 15 12:45:35 BST 2005

Thanks for your feedback!

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, SnapafunFrank wrote:

> Just a silly thought :
>
> You wouldn't happen to be starting up as root would you ?

Nope. I start KDE as myself, an unprivilegued(sp?) user.

I have tried to start KDE as root as well and then the messages no not
show up. But, I somehow suspect they shouldn't ever appear.

> I'm on Mandriva but I see these sorts of messages when I start up a GUI
> from Konsole and usually as root.

When KDE is up and running I never see anything like it. Starting a
program from Konsole never shows these messages.

> The only other thought is that you are somehow defaulting your startup
> from the command line shell and
> though everything looks OK otherwise, the console you are using could be
> minimized or some such ?

"deafulting your startup"?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I start KDE on a text console
with "startx" which runs "startkde" -> messages appear. The
configuration of the text console doesn't have anything to do with my
problems, or am I wrong?

> From your console command prompt, try to start up something simple ( as
> root ), like your favourite GUI text editor and see if you get simular
> messages.

No similar messages even appear when KDE is up and running, when running
as root or any other user.

/andreas