Can't search the KDE Help Centre

Justin Denick justin.denick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:19:53 BST 2005

Hey Bogus,

I experienced a like issue with KDE-3.4.2-r2 on Gentoo-2005.1,but I beleive
the issue was/is related to < USE="-doc[...]" > which excludes Help
Documentation at compilation. While this created smaller binaries and used
less space, it also did exactly what it was supposed to-- exclude help docs.
Did you compile KDE by hand?
Also, did this happen after an upgrade or any other dramatic change to your
box?

On 9/6/05, Bogus Zaba <bogzab at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Not sure if this is a KDE or a SUSE problem, but when I start the Help
> Centre from KDE3.4.1 with Suse 9.2, I can browse through the help files,
> using the "contents" tab in the left hand pane. When I want to search
> through the help files, however, by changing to the "Seach" tab, the
> [Search] button is greyed out. I have the option of pressing a [Build
> Search Index] button at the bottom of the left hand pane, but this
> brings up a dialog which should contain a list of documents and a
> "status" (to say if an index exists or not I think). But the list is
> empty and the [Build Index] button is greyed out. How do I populate this
> list and build a search index for my help files? I'm sure this worked
> before but cannot say exactly when the index got lost. Possibly when I
> installed KDE3.4...
>
> I can change the Index Folder in this dialog and have tried various
> existing folders that I thought might be logical messing this this does
> not activate the [Build Index] button.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bogus

Got Gentoo?

It usually takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu speech.
-- Mark Twain