Xorg, KDE and Cuecat problems

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Wed Oct 19 20:06:22 BST 2005

I hope someone on this list can offer a suggestion.

I have been trying for some time to get my PS/2 Cuecat device to work
with Linux and X. Just last night I was able to determine that the
problem seems to be with X and not with Linux. If I scan in an Xterm
window or within my X app (Readerware) I get a bunch of beeps and
sometimes a line feed. If I scan in a VT I get good output from the
Cuecat. Today, I installed an old dist of RH with XFree86-3.3.6 just for
testing and the Cuecat does scan under the older version of X. Has
anyone been able to get the Cuecat devices to work under the current X?
Is there some setting I can put in xorg.conf to allow the input from the
Cuecat device?

I've done some more testing and the problem seems to actually be with
KDE. If I start Xorg in failsafe mode and scan in the Xterm window, I
can see the Cuecat's output. Also, if I open an xterm in KDE, not a KDE
term, I can still scan and get good output. It seems that KDE is
grabbing the CueCat's input, but I can't find anything in the KDE
control center, or anywhere  else, that looks like the culprit. Can
anyone offer some suggestions?

I'm running Kubuntu 5.04, KDE-3.2 and Xorg-6.8.2. The problems also
occurs on SLackware 9.0 and 10.0 with KDE-3.1and Xorg 6.8.0

Thanks,
Rick Knight