Non-KDE apps can't connect to web sites using URLs
jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 20:11:53 BST 2005
Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Monday 03 October 2005 10:03, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> Nigel Henry wrote:
>> > On Sunday 02 October 2005 19:05, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> >> Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> >> > I know that this sounds bizarre, but since I upgraded my system from
>> >> > Libranet 2.8 (2.4 kernel) to 3 (2.6 kernel, KDE 3.3.2), it appears
>> >> > that only KDE applications are able to connect to Internet sites
>> >> > using URLs. I have three non-KDE applications (Firefox, Moneydance,
>> >> > Epiphany (web browser)) that fail to connect using URLs and four KDE
>> >> > applications (Konqueror, KMail, KNode, KNewsTicker that succeed.
>> >> > Firefox and Epiphany
>> >> > are able to connect using IP numbers. The fact that IP numbers work
>> >> > suggests a DNS problem, but DNS lives at my ISP so I don't see how
>> >> > it would
>> >> > be able to discriminate against only certain apps. Well, I don't
>> >> > see how
>> >> > anything would. Is there anything in KDE that might account for
>> >> > this favoritism?
>> >> It seems that my /etc/resolv.conf has the entry
>> >> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>> >> which corresponds to my gateway. It also has an entry for the correct
>> >> nameserver. When I delete the one for my gateway, applications other
>> >> than
>> >> KDE work. Isn't KDE clever to overlook this misdirection? Now, if I
>> >> could just figure out why resolvconf is inserting this erroneous
>> >> entry, I will finally be done with this problem.
>> > Hi. I presume that each time you boot up the Libranet machine, your
>> > gateway IP address is turning up in /etc/resolv.conf. Have you tried
>> > booting up the machine while unplugged from the network? Does the
>> > gateway address still turn up in /etc/resolv.conf ? What OS do you have
>> > on the gateway machine connected to the Internet? I've got KDE 3.3.2 on
>> > my Debian boxes, and notice in control centre/KDE components/Service
>> > manager there is a start up service named "KDE Internet Daemon" .
>> > Whether that has anything to do with why the KDE apps work but the
>> > others don't, I don't know. Nigel.
>> > ___________________________________________________ This message is
>> > from the kde mailing list.
>> > Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
>> > Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
>> > More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
>> Yes. I have to delete the bogus entry every time I reboot.
>> I tried booting while unplugged from the network. I get no entries at
>> in /etc/resolv.conf. The gateway is a DSL router (Actiontec). There is
>> no KDE Internet Daemon in my Control Center/KDE Components/Service
>> Manager, so I think we have to rule out that theory.
>> Incidentally, when I booted unplugged, not only did the two nameserver
>> entries disappear, but a third entry "search domain.actdsltmp" also
>> disappeared. Don't know where that one is coming from either.
> Hi. I have no experience with DSL routers as I'm still on dialup using a
> Linux based Smoothwall Express2 as a firewall/gateway. The entries
> disappearing when you boot the machine while off the network indicates
> that you're using dhcp to get IP addresses for you're Libranet box, also
> the nameserver address. I'm at the moment downloading an enormous 9.1MB
> pdf for the Actiontec GT704, which no doubt is not yours, but to see if
> it's possible to set up your machine with static addresses, which would at
> least solve the problem of dhcp adding this extra 192.168.0.1 entry in
> /etc/resolv.conf. It may be worth checking the setup of the router, unless
> you have other machines using it with no problems. It's beginning to look
> more like a networking problem, rather than something to do with KDE, as I
> can't see KDE being responsible for importing the 192.168.0.1 address to
> /etc/resolv.conf. I'll
> be back! After reading the manual. Nigel.
I suspect that you're right, but there is still something KDE-related
happening. I have now learned that it is normal for a router to return its
IP number. My old OS has the same nameserver entry in its /etc/resolv.conf
yet no application had a problem with it there. On my new OS, I get a
response whether I do "dig <the real DNS server> www.google.com" or "dig
192.168.0.1 www.google.com". If dig can get a name resolved by addressing
a query to the router, then surely Firefox can too. Something else is
happening that gets circumvented by deleting the nameserver entry. And
every KDE application is already smart enough to avoid the problem in the
This message is from the kde mailing list.
Account management: https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.
More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
More information about the kde