Non-KDE apps can't connect to web sites using URLs

Jeffrey Barish jeff_barish at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 4 20:11:53 BST 2005

Nigel Henry wrote:

> On Monday 03 October 2005 10:03, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> Nigel Henry wrote:

>> > Hi. I presume that each time you boot up the Libranet machine, your
>> > gateway IP address is turning up in /etc/resolv.conf. Have you tried
>> > booting up the machine while unplugged from the network? Does the
>> > gateway address still turn up in /etc/resolv.conf ? What OS do you have
>> > on the gateway machine connected to the Internet? I've got KDE 3.3.2 on
>> > my Debian boxes, and notice in control centre/KDE components/Service
>> > manager there is a start up service named "KDE Internet Daemon" .
>> > Whether that has anything to do with why the KDE apps work but the
>> > others don't, I don't know. Nigel.
>>
>> Yes.  I have to delete the bogus entry every time I reboot.
>>
>> I tried booting while unplugged from the network.  I get no entries at
>> all
>> in /etc/resolv.conf.  The gateway is a DSL router (Actiontec).  There is
>> no KDE Internet Daemon in my Control Center/KDE Components/Service
>> Manager, so I think we have to rule out that theory.
>>
>> Incidentally, when I booted unplugged, not only did the two nameserver
>> entries disappear, but a third entry "search domain.actdsltmp" also
>> disappeared.  Don't know where that one is coming from either.
>
> Hi. I have no experience with DSL routers as I'm still on dialup using a
> Linux based Smoothwall Express2 as a firewall/gateway. The entries
> disappearing when you boot the machine while off the network indicates
> that you're using dhcp to get IP addresses for you're Libranet box, also
> the nameserver address. I'm at the moment downloading an enormous 9.1MB
> pdf for the Actiontec GT704, which no doubt is not yours, but to see if
> it's possible to set up your machine with static addresses, which would at
> least solve the problem of dhcp adding this extra 192.168.0.1 entry in
> /etc/resolv.conf. It may be worth checking the setup of the router, unless
> you have other machines using it with no problems. It's beginning to look
> more like a networking problem, rather than something to do with KDE, as I
> can't see KDE being responsible for importing the 192.168.0.1 address to
> /etc/resolv.conf. I'll
> be back!  After reading the manual. Nigel.
I suspect that you're right, but there is still something KDE-related
happening.  I have now learned that it is normal for a router to return its
IP number.  My old OS has the same nameserver entry in its /etc/resolv.conf
yet no application had a problem with it there.  On my new OS, I get a
response whether I do "dig <the real DNS server> www.google.com" or "dig
192.168.0.1 www.google.com".  If dig can get a name resolved by addressing
a query to the router, then surely Firefox can too.  Something else is
happening that gets circumvented by deleting the nameserver entry.  And
every KDE application is already smart enough to avoid the problem in the
first place.
--
Jeffrey Barish