Non-KDE apps can't connect to web sites using URLs

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Oct 4 09:00:42 BST 2005

On Monday 03 October 2005 10:03, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> >>
> >> It seems that my /etc/resolv.conf has the entry
> >>
> >> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> >>
> >> which corresponds to my gateway.  It also has an entry for the correct
> >> nameserver.  When I delete the one for my gateway, applications other
> >> than
> >> KDE work.  Isn't KDE clever to overlook this misdirection?  Now, if I
> >> could just figure out why resolvconf is inserting this erroneous entry,
> >> I will finally be done with this problem.
> >
> > Hi. I presume that each time you boot up the Libranet machine, your
> > gateway IP address is turning up in /etc/resolv.conf. Have you tried
> > booting up the machine while unplugged from the network? Does the gateway
> > address still turn up in /etc/resolv.conf ? What OS do you have on the
> > gateway machine connected to the Internet? I've got KDE 3.3.2 on my
> > Debian boxes, and notice in control centre/KDE components/Service manager
> > there is a start up service named "KDE Internet Daemon" . Whether that
> > has anything to do with why the KDE apps work but the others don't, I
> > don't know. Nigel. ___________________________________________________
> > This message is from the kde mailing list.
> > Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.
> > More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.
>
> Yes.  I have to delete the bogus entry every time I reboot.
>
> I tried booting while unplugged from the network.  I get no entries at all
> in /etc/resolv.conf.  The gateway is a DSL router (Actiontec).  There is no
> KDE Internet Daemon in my Control Center/KDE Components/Service Manager, so
> I think we have to rule out that theory.
>
> Incidentally, when I booted unplugged, not only did the two nameserver
> entries disappear, but a third entry "search domain.actdsltmp" also
> disappeared.  Don't know where that one is coming from either.

Hi. I have no experience with DSL routers as I'm still on dialup using a Linux
based Smoothwall Express2 as a firewall/gateway. The entries disappearing
when you boot the machine while off the network indicates that you're using
dhcp to get IP addresses for you're Libranet box, also the nameserver
address. I'm at the moment downloading an enormous 9.1MB pdf for the
Actiontec GT704, which no doubt is not yours, but to see if it's possible to
set up your machine with static addresses, which would at least solve the
problem of dhcp adding this extra 192.168.0.1 entry in /etc/resolv.conf. It
may be worth checking the setup of the router, unless you have other machines
using it with no problems. It's beginning to look more like a networking
problem, rather than something to do with KDE, as I can't see KDE being
responsible for importing the 192.168.0.1 address to /etc/resolv.conf. I'll
be back!  After reading the manual. Nigel.