How to enable the old kicker icon-zoom effect in KDE 3.4?

Howard Coles Jr dhcolesj at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 23:50:46 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 03:03 am, Jes Hall wrote:
> > > I would hazard to suggest that the developer who gives up his free time
> > > to maintain the code is most qualified to make such decisions.
> >
> > Wrong!  Such developers tend to have egos and it appears that making
> > something that is "way cool" has a higher priority than usability.
> > Hence the very fancy animation that can't be turned off.
>
> This is gross rudeness. Who are you to demand programmers bend to your idea
> of how things should be when they are volunteers? Who are you to insult
> them? Perhaps you should get a refund, since you seem to feel you're not
> getting value for your money ;)
>
> > > If the code is
> > > causing bugs to pile up and the effort to fix it is far greater than
> > > any gain in  functionality, then it goes. Whether the effort is in fact
> > > greater is highly subjective, and only the person who is hacking on the
> > > code can truly judge. It is after all his time and his effort he's
> > > weighing in the balance.
> >
> > Well the current code has bugs too.  Those cute animated popup windows
> > don't have the correct X priority and AJS has already told me that he
> > won't fix the kicker X priority issues because it would be too difficult
> > and/or that I'm just wrong about it.
>
> You've completely missed the point, that Aaron and other developers are the
> ones who have earned the right to make these decisions on their particular
> piece of code with their blood sweat and tears. Not you. If it bothers you
> so much, contribute something to the code. What you feel about the X
> priority or any other facet of any other piece of code is completely
> irrelevant to the fact that it's not your code and you have no rights over
> the coder. Feel free to file a bug report, feel free to suggest and attempt
> to inspire the coder, but if this doesn't work it is foolish to act as
> though you have somehow been cheated.
>
> This may come as a surprise to you - but you don't own us.

Just one Sentence:
Without users you don't need programmers.

If ONE guy can determine "usable" and whether a feature is added or not simply
because he doesn't like it, something is BAD WRONG!!  I thought this was Open
Source?  Open means Open, as in not hidden, available to be modified, looked
at by many, etc.  I completely disagree with the whole idea that the icon
zoom feature is a "usability problem".  If you, or the programmer can't take
disagreement your in the wrong place.

Besides all that I have on more than one occasion sent notes Thanking the
folks who program in KDE for their efforts, and will again.  However, if they
head down a path that a lot of users don't like they'll find themselves
programming only for themselves.

--

See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.