How to enable the old kicker icon-zoom effect in KDE 3.4?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 23 17:22:49 GMT 2005

Jes Hall wrote:
>>> I would hazard to suggest that the developer who gives up his
>>> free time to maintain the code is most qualified to make such
>>> decisions.
>>
>> Wrong!  Such developers tend to have egos and it appears that
>> making something that is "way cool" has a higher priority than
>> usability. Hence the very fancy animation that can't be turned off.
>>

> This is gross rudeness.

Actually it was an engineer's objectiveness.

> Who are you to demand programmers bend to your idea of how things
> should be when they are volunteers?

I am only one person.  I do not feel that anyone should bend to my
demands.  What I do expect is that they should accept the input from
MANY people.  I do feel that my suggestions should be considered based
on merit not on a maintainer's ego.

> Who are you to insult them?

Who are they to insult me?

> Perhaps you should get a refund, since you seem to feel you're not
> getting value for your money ;)

It isn't about me!  It is about improving the product and the ultimate
success of the KDE project.  I do feel, rightly or wrongly, that what I
say should be given more weight than newbie users because I have some
expertise.  If people do not want to benefit from this knowledge, it is
their loss not mine.

I can, and have, made many changes to my KDE installation.  I would like
to think that some of these improvements might be considered for
inclusion in the release or be the basis for further work.  But, when
faced with the attitude of some of the developers, I realize that this
is not possible.  The last patch I posted was simply ignored on kde-devel.

>>> If the code is causing bugs to pile up and the effort to fix it
>>> is far greater than any gain in  functionality, then it goes.
>>> Whether the effort is in fact greater is highly subjective, and
>>> only the person who is hacking on the code can truly judge. It is
>>>  after all his time and his effort he's weighing in the balance.
>>
>> Well the current code has bugs too.  Those cute animated popup
>> windows don't have the correct X priority and AJS has already told
>>  me that he won't fix the kicker X priority issues because it would
>>  be too difficult and/or that I'm just wrong about it.
>

> You've completely missed the point, that Aaron and other developers
> are the ones who have earned the right to make these decisions on
> their particular piece of code with their blood sweat and tears. Not
>  you. If it bothers you so much, contribute something to the code.

What is the point when those that have "earned the right" seem to think
that they also have earned the right to put out a 'No Help Wanted' sign.

> What you feel about the X priority or any other facet of any other
> piece of code is completely irrelevant to the fact that it's not your
>  code and you have no rights over the coder.

Do I understand that correctly that bugs are irrelevant?  This is not
about what I feel about the X priority, it is a FACT.  The popups appear
_behind_ other stuff.  This IS a bug.

> Feel free to file a bug report,

Why bother when AJS will immediately close it as WON'T FIX even if it is
a WISHLIST issue.

> feel free to suggest and attempt to inspire the coder, but if this
> doesn't work it is foolish to act as though you have somehow been
> cheated.
>
> This may come as a surprise to you - but you don't own us.

Doesn't come as a surprise at all.  Neither does your arrogant attitude.
  Unfortunately (IM not so HO), the KDE project has reached the point
where this attitude is a major impediment to its continued growth and
success.

What I am suggesting is that the KDE community, not one developer, needs
to make usability decisions.  If you can't see that, then you represent
my remarks.

--
JRT