3 Screen Xinerama Issues

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com
Wed Mar 23 00:23:59 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I have three monitors.  One 21inch in the middle and two 17inch, one on
each side of the 21inch.  The 21 and one of the 17's is running off of an
Nvidia Quadro FX540 dual-head, while the other 17 is running off of a
Matrox Mystique.  I am running KDE 3.3.2 on Gentoo with a Linux kernel of
2.6.10.  This is a partially new setup for me.

Previously I was running SuSE 9.2 with KDE 3.2 and a Matrox Millenium
dual-head instead of the Nvidia.  With the previou setup I was not having
the issues I will now relate.  For reference you may view the following
screenshot:

http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop.gif

(Note: The three screens are delineated by the horizontal green lines.)

1) Notice that the panel (at the top of the screen) is partially on the
left screen and mostly on the middle screen.  How can I get that to
center on the middle screen?

2) As can be seen in the following image, when I launch apps that do not
remember their previous position they locate themselves across two or more
of the screens instead of centering on one of them, and usually toward the
bottom.

http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop_new_window.gif

3) As seen in the following image, when I maximize an application, it
maximizes across all three screens.

http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop_maximize.gif

4) As can be seen in the first and second images, some new apps when
launched and do not remember their previous position, lodge themselves at
the bottom of the screens.  This is not so much of a problem except when
the apps are small and they get lost in the black area on the screens
with the smaller resolutions.  If you notice in the first screenshot there
is a Konqueror window peeking out of the black area under the right
screen.  That is where is launches before I move it.

As I said, in my previous setup of KDE none of these things were a
problem.  The applications all seemed to know where the edges of the
screens were and did not launch in the black areas, did not cross screens
on launch, and the panel was centered on the middle screen.

How much of these issues are KDE related and how many are X.org related?
I would think since the Xinerama is setup and working that all the issues
are with KDE.  Anyone have any helpful tips for me?

Thank you,
--
Jonathan Duncan
Administrator