3 Screen Xinerama Issues

LeVA leva at az.isten.hu
Wed Mar 23 00:50:33 GMT 2005

2005. március 23. 01:23,
Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at jkdwebmagic.com>
-> kde at mail.kde.org,:
> Greetings,
Hi!

> I have three monitors.  One 21inch in the middle and two 17inch, one on
> each side of the 21inch.  The 21 and one of the 17's is running off of an
> Nvidia Quadro FX540 dual-head, while the other 17 is running off of a
> Matrox Mystique.  I am running KDE 3.3.2 on Gentoo with a Linux kernel of
> 2.6.10.  This is a partially new setup for me.
>
> Previously I was running SuSE 9.2 with KDE 3.2 and a Matrox Millenium
> dual-head instead of the Nvidia.  With the previou setup I was not having
> the issues I will now relate.  For reference you may view the following
> screenshot:
>
> http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop.gif
>
> (Note: The three screens are delineated by the horizontal green lines.)
>
> 1) Notice that the panel (at the top of the screen) is partially on the
> left screen and mostly on the middle screen.  How can I get that to
> center on the middle screen?
>

> 2) As can be seen in the following image, when I launch apps that do not
> remember their previous position they locate themselves across two or more
> of the screens instead of centering on one of them, and usually toward the
> bottom.
>
> http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop_new_window.gif
>

> 3) As seen in the following image, when I maximize an application, it
> maximizes across all three screens.
>
> http://jkdwebmagic.com/temp/mydesktop_maximize.gif
>

> 4) As can be seen in the first and second images, some new apps when
> launched and do not remember their previous position, lodge themselves at
> the bottom of the screens.  This is not so much of a problem except when
> the apps are small and they get lost in the black area on the screens
> with the smaller resolutions.  If you notice in the first screenshot there
> is a Konqueror window peeking out of the black area under the right
> screen.  That is where is launches before I move it.
To make windows remember their positions, use the window menu (top-left corner
of the window, left side of the title bar with the icon), and choose
Advanced / Special Window Settings.
Then identify your window with some unique information, and set up the
Remember Window Position, and Remember Window Size.

Unfortunately, I can not answer you questions about the panel on the top of
your screen. I have only one monitor, and never used xinerama, or a
multi-monitor configuration :)

HTH,

Daniel

--