multiple window managers and KDM

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Mar 2 15:23:12 GMT 2005

Rob van Riel wrote:
> I'd like to take a bunch of small window managers for a test drive.
> The text at
> http://docs.kde.org/en/3.3/kdebase/kdm/different-window-managers-with-kdm.html
> explains how to get the new manager to start (which was relatively obvious after
> inspection some of the configuration files anyway), but it doesn't explain how to
> add the new managers to the Session Type drop down. It refers to a [KDM] section
> in kdmrc, but although the file it there, the section is not. It also links to
> http://docs.kde.org/en/3.3/kdebase/kdm/KDM
> for further info on this configuration, but this is a dead link.
>
> I know its possible, but I can't figure out how. Help? Anyone? Please?

To add items to the Session Type menu, you need to add 'desktop' files
in the directory specified in the: "SessionsDirs=" parameter in your:
"kdmrc" file.

On my system, this is: "$KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/sessions" but your
system might be setup differently.  There might already be a 'desktop'
file for what you need.  If so, it will be activated when it can find
the executable specified in: "TryExec=".

--
JRT