replacing su with sudo to allow users administrative tasks

David Goodenough david.goodenough at btconnect.com
Tue Jun 28 09:26:14 BST 2005

On Tuesday 28 June 2005 05:02, itlistuser at rapideye.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using kde 3.4.1 on SuSE 9.3. When a user has to configure the wireless
> networking a dialog pops up asking for the root password. This window uses
> su to allow the user to configure the network. I do not want to hand out
> the root password to the users, therefore I want to use su.
> Is there a way to replace the su with sudo?
>
> kind regards
> sebastian

Something I have been suggesting to the Debian community is that for laptop
users we need a new group much along the lines of the group recently added to
Debian for mounting USB memory sticks and the like (pmount).  We need
an nmount (for want of a better name) group which would allow the users either
directly (or indirectly behind a GUI) to issue ifup, ifdown, and to edit files
such as (in debian's case) /etc/networking/interfaces.

Obviously on a server or a corporate desktop this group would be empty and
the administrator would use sudo to do the job, but for joe-user with a laptop
moving from environment to environment this would be really useful.

David