Automatic proxy configuration for KDE

Andy Teijelo Pérez ateijelo at uh.cu
Fri Jul 8 01:43:46 BST 2005

El Miércoles, 06 de Julio de 2005 6:11, Philip Rodrigues escribió:
> I have no idea whether there's an automatic or GUI-based way of doing this,
> but a quick 'n' dirty hack would go something like this:
> 1. Set up the proxy settings for ISP 1.
> 2. Save ~/.kde/share/config/<file storing the proxy settings> as 'isp1'
> 3. Set up the proxy settings for ISP 2.
> 4. Save ~/.kde/share/config/<file storing the proxy settings> as 'isp2'
> 5. Create a script, let's call it 'isp1-proxy', that copies 'isp1' back to
> ~/.kde/share/config/<file storing the proxy settings> and runs
> 'kbuildsycoca --noincremental'.
> 6. Create a corresponding script for isp2
> 7. On connection to ISP 1, run isp1-proxy, and on connection to ISP 2, run
> isp2-proxy
>
> For step 7, you'd probably want to see whether kppp can run a script on
> connection. If not, it's probably not much of a saving.
>
> Regards,
> Philip

I had thought about something like that. In fact, KPPP has the option to run a
given script in four different moments of the connection/disconnecting
processes. My problem was that I didn't find the way to make all open KDE
apps aware of the change. I hadn't thought about kbuildsycoca and I tried as
soon as I read your mail, but I had no luck. New applications see the change
even without runnign kbuildsycoca, but the open ones do not. If I go to the
proxy settings in Konqueror, I can see the dialog changed according to the
file change, but if I don't hit "Ok" or "Apply", but "Cancel", the change
does not affect the Konqueror instance.

In any case, these methods are fine for you and me and all programmer Unix
geeks around, but are not suitable for the common user who needs a GUI and
easy way to achieve his/her goal.

Thanks a lot, anyway.

Saludos,
Andy.