KDE 3.4.1 on Cygwin

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jul 7 08:41:25 BST 2005

Ross MacGillivray wrote:

> I have installed KDE3.4.1 on Cygwin and I am starting kde-cygwin 3.4.1 with
> bash using the following script:
>
> usr/sbin/cygserver &
> export CYGWIN=server
> export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
> usr/X11R6/bin/XWin -multiwindow &
> usr/X11R6/bin/xwinclip &
> usr/X11R6/bin/xhost +
> export SHELL=/bin/bash
> pwd
> opt/kde3.4/bin/kdeinit +kicker &
>
> I manually walked through the script and the script works.  However, the
> kdeinit line is generating the following error.
>
> Could not bind to socket '/tmp/ksocket-Ross
> MacGillivray/kdeinit-127.0.0.1:0'
>
> I end up an X root window that is all grey with no window manager, no
> desktop, no applications.
>
> The relevant bits of .bashrc are:
> PATH="/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:opt/kde3.4/bin:/opt/qt/3.3/bin:$PATH"
> KDEHOME='~/.kde3'
> KDEROOTHOME='/root/kde3'
> KDEDIRS='/opt/kde3.4'
>
> What does the above error mean?

I know nothing about CygWin.  But, in general, to start, KDE must create
a socket directory and file in the "/tmp" directory.  You must have such
a directory and it must have permissions 777 unless you are using a
group (in which case 770 would be OK and the user must belong to the
group that owns the "/tmp" directory).

--
JRT