KDE crashes randomly (at least once a day)

sarah c. azurin linux-chick at ceruleansoftware.com
Thu Jul 7 03:56:56 BST 2005

Hi all,

i have this, probably simple problem, but I'm really not sure how to solve it.
Since upgrading to KDE 3.4, I've noticed that my KDE crashes. No warning, all
my windows just close and it drops me back to the login screen. I dont see
anything helpful in my /var/log/messages file, should I be looking for
something in particular? Or should I be looking at another file?

This started happening after I upgrade to KDE 3.4 from KDE 3.3 on a FC3
machine. Then I tried a clean install of FC4 with KDE 3.4 (still crashed once
a day). So, I upgraded again to KDE 3.4.1 (thinking that it might fix the
problem) -- it still crashes.

I've tried blowing away my /home/sarah/.kde directories. Recreating my user
account from scratch. It still crashes.

Sometimes it crashes in the middle of the night or sometimes while I'm working
on something (working on anything, making my amarok playlist, playing
freeciv, writing a memo, tweaking code...anything).

I absolutely love kde, but this is really annoying me. Anyone encounter this
problem before? Thanks in advance. :)

(I dont know if this will help, but ... stuff running on my desktop:
openoffice2, kmail, superkaramba, linneighborhood, gaim, console windows,
jedit, opera, amarok and the usual panel applets: systray, soundmixer, char
selector, binary clock ...etc. And I have panel transparency on.)

--
sarah c. azurin | linux registered user #318168
"Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code."