KDE crashes randomly (at least once a day)

Jessica Hall jes.hall at kdemail.net
Thu Jul 7 06:44:57 BST 2005

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 14:56, sarah c. azurin wrote:

> This started happening after I upgrade to KDE 3.4 from KDE 3.3 on a FC3
> machine. Then I tried a clean install of FC4 with KDE 3.4 (still crashed
> once a day). So, I upgraded again to KDE 3.4.1 (thinking that it might fix
> the problem) -- it still crashes.

Are you using Fedora KDE packages? They're pretty substandard and if so you
may find the ones from the kde-redhat repository here are a better bet:

http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

Also, are you using true transparency and drop shadows with the composite
extention in X.org? This is a great way of getting X to crash randomly.

Another place to look for error messages is in ~/.xsession-errors

--
Jessica Hall

KDE Frequently Asked Questions:
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase/faq/index.html

panic("esp_handle: current_SC == penguin within interrupt!");