WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/

Philip Rodrigues philip.rodrigues at chch.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 23:13:41 BST 2005

Lane wrote:

> What in the heck is going on?
>
> My hard drive crashed so I had to get a new one and reinstall the OS
> (FreeBSD) and X and KDE and EVERYTHING else.
>
> What a pain!
>
> But now, when I log into KDE, the "K" menu "Applications" are gone! All I
> get is a greyed out "No Entries" message.

Assuming you haven't somehow messed up your installation of KDE (in which
case you might like to ask on kde at freebsd.org), it might be an XDG
menu-related problem. Try setting the following environment variables
before starting KDE (I do it in ~/.xinitrc and start KDE with 'startx'):
  export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$KDEDIR/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
    export XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=$KDEDIR/etc/xdg

Regards,
Philip